Search This Blog

03 August 2011

Snowflakes: I counted till they danced so

Snow flakes.

I counted till they danced so
Their slippers leaped the town,
And then I took a pencil
To note the rebels down.
And then they grew so jolly
I did resign the prig,
And ten of my once stately toes
Are marshalled for a jig! 
                                                              - F 45 (1858)


This cute poem sketches the poet enjoying the swirling snow, its white 'slippers' dancing over the New England town. She runs to dash off a poem to say something about the little party animals, but can't resist the fun for long. Her poet self is portrayed as a prig, even her toes 'stately'. It's a winter caper, headlined by the Jolly Snowflakes. It's all ironic, of course: She has clearly taken her pencil and noted 'the rebels down.' Still, I like the image of Miss Emily doing a jig.
     This is only one out three of Dickinson's 1780+ poems that she titled. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment